Maintaining long hair is not always easy for men. There are many things to consider when it comes to your personal style, and this can be tough if you want something different now and then.
However, understanding the basics of how to maintain long hair will allow you to enjoy all styles with ease! It’s time to get started on looking at some great tips that will help any guy out there who has ever wanted a hairstyle change but didn’t know where or how they should start.
The primary strategy to maintain long hair men is to avoid breakage by using hair concealers like hair oils, pomades, rinses, and other styling products and never brushing wet or damp hair.
We’ll explore everything from what products you need to keep your mane healthy, down to styling options that won’t leave anyone guessing!
13 tips to keep long hair healthier for men
- Anti-Breakage Hair Mask: Blended with hydrating Avocado and Argan oil, this deep conditioning mask...
- Nourishing Care: Our protein-rich mask helps improve elasticity and restore strand strength from the...
- Strengthening Leave-In Conditioner & Detangler: This sulfate free caffeine, biotin and ginseng...
- Nourishing Formula: Caffeine, Ginseng and Vitamin E nourish each strand to rapidly promote longer,...
1. Shampoo and condition your hair regularly to ensure it stays as healthy as possible. It’s best to wash your locks at least twice a week, but every couple of days with the right products is optimal for most people.
You’ll want to choose a shampoo that has natural ingredients in it so that you don’t dry out your hair.
Many of the most popular brands in men’s fashion have a wide selection of shampoos and conditioners with ingredients that are designed for daily use with their products.
If you need to wash your hair more often or want to keep natural oils from building up in your mane, be sure to add a clarifying shampoo to your routine from time to time.
2. Find a hairstyle that works for you and your daily routine. Having long hair may be something you’ve dreamed about, but if it doesn’t work with your lifestyle then it can become a nightmare fast.
Many men find themselves not knowing how to style their hair every morning and end up wearing the same style because it’s easier.
This is the complete opposite of what you want when trying to maintain long hair.
Be sure to choose a hairstyle that allows you to easily change it up so you don’t get stuck in a boring routine.
There are many great styles for men with long hair, including braids and ponytails that add interest and flair.
3. Make sure that your mane is conditioned and hydrated every day to avoid breakage and split ends. No matter how nice your hair looks, if the inside is damaged it will show through.
The best thing you can do for your hair is to treat it with daily moisturizing products such as deep conditioning oils.
These products are designed to restore moisture, whereas gel and hairspray are designed to dry out your locks.
When you condition your hair daily, you’ll notice that it shines more, is easier to manage, and stands up better to complications like frizzing.
4. Try adding some new products into your routine to keep your locks looking as great as possible. There are hundreds of different products, from shampoos to styling sprays, that can help you maintain long hair properly.
Be sure to use a leave-in conditioner or detangler on a regular basis, and this will prevent your hair from getting knotted up throughout the day.
Add some volume to your mane by using dry shampoo on lighter days, and this will keep it looking fresh even if you need to wash your hair less frequently.
You’ll also want to consider adding a lightweight gel or mousse to give your locks some added texture and definition.
5. Take better care of your hair by eating better foods. If you’re not getting the right nutrients from your diet, then your hair won’t be at its best either.
Get a lot of protein and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to make sure that your body is in top shape. When you build healthy habits into your lifestyle, you’ll notice a big difference when it comes to the overall health of your hair, and how it looks.
6. Consider getting a hair care professional involved to help you with your needs.
If you have curly or long hair that is difficult to manage, it might be time to seek out the help of a stylist who specializes in men’s haircuts and styles.
Many salons offer discounts for first-time clients, so make sure to take advantage of this.
You can also find a number of makeup artists who have experience in the salon industry and can help you to prepare for special events or photoshoots.
7. Find an online community that has men with long hair.
There are many places to find information on the web, but if you need advice from others who have already been through your situation then this is a great place to start.
You can ask questions and get feedback, including ideas for ways that other guys style their hair and what they feed their bodies to keep it looking its best.
8. Stay away from common mistakes such as over-styling, not conditioning or cleansing your locks enough, and getting regular trims. If you avoid these simple mistakes then you should be able to maintain long hair successfully without too much trouble at all.
Be sure to use the right products for your hair type, and you’ll want to give it a break once in a while by skipping out on styling.
This will allow your mane to get some much needed rest so it looks its best when you do style it again.
9. Prepare yourself for negative comments from people who don’t understand why you have long hair.
Some people will be rude, and these are usually people who have a lot of their own insecurities that they’re projecting onto you.
When someone says something negative about your look, just ignore it and focus on your goals instead.
10. Be comfortable and confident in your appearance.
Even if you’re just starting out with long hair, then you should be fine as long as you choose a manageable length and style it properly.
It’s also important to make sure that you avoid styles like cornrows or dreadlocks because these won’t appeal to everyone, and might even cause you problems once in a while.
11. Be open to new experiences, and realize that learning about your hair will take time.
If you have never had long hair before, then it may take some time to get used to the fact that it’s going to be different from how it is at shorter lengths.
Once you get a taste of what it’s like to go through life with long hair, then you’ll know that it’s something unique and special.
12. Find someone who is supportive of your decision to have long hair, and spend quality time with them as often as you can. It doesn’t matter whether this person has similar tastes or not, as what’s more important is that they understand you and your choices.
Having a support network of friends and family with similar interests can be very helpful when you’re trying to manifest a new look or lifestyle.
13. Find long hair goals that will motivate you to keep going, even on the days when it’s difficult.
Maybe you want to increase the length of your hair by a few inches or maybe you want to go from shoulder length hair to knee length.
If you have goals that are easy to visualize, then it’s going to be much easier for you to stick with your plan and see how great it is when you reach those milestones.
The bottom line
We all know how difficult it can be to maintain long hair, but men have a different challenge. They need products that are tailored to their needs and styling routines.
With so many options available on the market today, you’ll never run out of ways to keep your mane looking fantastic!
Whether you choose from shampoos or conditioners, gels or oils, waxes or pomades, there is nothing better than giving yourself permission to experiment with these tools until you find what works best for your particular style and preference.
I hope this article has given some useful advice about maintaining long hair in men’s styles as well as providing helpful product recommendations.